What is the difference between warehouse management and inventory management? Basically, it comes down to specificity. What do I mean? I’ll show you by comparing and contrasting the similarities and differences of warehouse management and inventory management below: Both warehouse management and inventory management involve:
- Monitoring product quantities.
- Cycle counting (checking the quantities of some products, but not all, at one time).
- Often using barcodes to track parts and products.
- Picking, packing, and shipping items.
- Managing multiple locations.
- Receiving orders into inventory.
- Warehouse management divides warehouses into many compartments and bins while inventory management takes a broader approach to tracking inventory by location.
- Warehouse management allows you to find specific items in a warehouse while inventory management simply informs you that they are somewhere in that warehouse.
- Warehouse management is often connected to inventory management software, but it’s not a standalone service because of its supportive nature.